Saturday, August 20, 2005

the Bihari .....













'I've mocked Vajpayee, but he admires me'
By Vinay Krishna Rastogi in Lucknow
Wednesday, 09 June , 2004, 15:45

King of Satire Shekhar Suman says his TV career has come to an end. He wants to get back to the film world. Excerpts from an exclusive interview:


What are your future plans on the small screen?
I think that my TV career has come to an end. It was like a holiday and now the holiday is over. I would now pursue my film career in right earnest.
Slide-Show: Shekhar Suman's dream Cabinet

But you have not yet bid adieu to TV because a new programme is to be telecast.
The new show will be telecast from June 5. It will be an extension of the Pol Khol show. While the lid-blowing Pol Khol satire was limited to elections and politicians, the new programme -- an extension of the old one -- would cover other aspects of life with a lot of humour and wit.


Tell us something more about the new show.
In the new format, the heat would be turned on all newsmakers, be it politicos, film personalities, industrialists, sports stars or others. I have, however, finally decided to say good bye to TV shortly.


Could you name some famous people who are your admirers?
I have ridiculed and lampooned Atalji a number of times. But as he is a true democrat and champion of free speech, he is one of my admirers. Sonia, I have heard, takes my gags and spoofs with a pinch of salt.
Most hated man!

Have you made many enemies in the political world?
I don’t know. There might be silent enemies. But when I rub people on the wrong side, there is nothing personal about it


You have been blamed for taking side of certain political parties, as if you are their campaign manager.
This is wrong. I only know that the show has helped improving the sense of humour of the masses. I have tried to teach them the joy of laughing, even at one's own self . Humour makes you laugh. Bitter and sardonic criticism makes you angry


Do you think the rural folks are humourous?
I think people in the country side and small towns are capable of delivering grand rip-offs and crisp, sparkling wit than their counterparts in metros. They sprinkle wit like betel juice.


What is your opinion of Laloo Prasad Yadav, who also wins elections partly because of his rustic humour?
Laloo and I share interesting vibes. Shatrughan Sinha’s `Chamchas` wanted him to take me to task. But he only told them, "Let him do his job.”


THE JAY LENO HANGOVER
I have thoroughly objected to drawing parallels between us. When I started out, I didn't know who Jay Leno was. Basically, India has a tradition of stand-ups called Sutradhars. The idea is to relate with the common man. Just because he comes on CNBC, we are being compared. Bill Cosby, Johnny Carson, David Letterman and others have been legends in the stand-up act but each has his own unique flavour.

No comments: